This isn’t really a pregnancy craving, but I’ve been eating it for breakfast about half the mornings of my pregnancy so far. I generally make a batch every week while it’s warm out, and switch to making a batch of from-scratch “instant oatmeal” on weeks during the colder months.
My recipes is adapted to perfection (for my personal tastes, of course) from the “Homemade Granola” recipe on page 116 of the cookbook Artisan Bread in Five. I’ll try to figure out the U.S. measurements soon!
80ml vegetable oil
2.5ml vanilla flavoring
1000ml rolled oats
100ml sesame seeds
1.25ml ground cinnamon
240ml dried fruit (raisins, banana chips, pineapples, and coconut are our favorites)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (375F). Brush a large pan with oil.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl, measuring out the oil and then the honey (makes the honey slide out of the measuring cup more smoothly).
3. Mix oats, seeds, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, then stir in the wet ingredients until everything is coated.
4. Spread granola evenly on the baking sheet.
5. Bake 40 or so minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until the granola is golden brown.
6. Remove quickly to a large bowl (so it won’t stick) and as it cools, stir in dried fruits.
7. After cooling, store in airtight containers. Serve with yogurt, top desserts, or eat as cereal!