by Lori Ann
This Pancake Saturday, I tried out a new recipe for corn (pan)cakes. Tasty and filling!
Corn (Pan)Cakes, serves 2 (plus one baby pancake for one little baby!)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 cup boiling water
- 1/2-1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 banana, mushed
- oil for frying
- Combine cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over the mixture and beat until thick.
- Pour 1 tsp. vinegar into a measuring cup and add milk to equal 1/2 cup. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Pour soured milk into mixing bowl.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and banana into bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Use a brush to lightly grease a skillet (this is my “trick” for all pancakes), and warm over medium-high heat.
- Pour mixture onto surface. When the edges start becoming firm and the pancake begins bubbling, flip to brown the other side. Enjoy!
I put each finished pancake on a plate in the oven on a low temperature to keep them warm until breakfast time! We especially like them topped with my apple salsa.
I’m still on a hunt for more pancake recipes for our weekly Pancake Saturdays. Share what you like!